Ella has been asking for the past six month or so to get her ears pierced. I told her when she started Kindergarten she could, she held me to that and asked ever day for 2 weeks since school had began. I wanted to make sure she really knew what she was getting herself into, so explained to her it would hurt and she assured me she was ready. Ella: "I know it will hurt mom, but that's ok b/c I want my ear pierced soooo bad!" Ok then, off to the mall we went.....
When I picked her up from school before heading over, she had told her teacher and all her friends, while jumping up and down with excitement, "I'm getting my ears pierced!! Next time you'll see me I will have earrings!!" She also told me that "I was the best mom EVER!!" I like that one ;)
Everything was going well....picked out her earrings....sat in the big high chair....super smiley......until, the lady got the earring gun out.....It all went down hill from there. Ella started to get really nervous, I told her she didn't have to do it. They lady even said that I could come back in a few hours to have her co-worker help so we could pierce her ears at the same time (looking back that's the option I should have chosen) Ella assured me she was ready right then, so I held her hand, and as soon and the 1st ear was pierced, you would have though she had just got her arm cut off. She was a wreck! crying screaming "Get me outta here!! I'm definitely NOT piercing the other ear!" Ok so now what do I do?? I now have a 4 1/2 year old pirate with one ear pierced. I tried to get her to calm down long enough to do the other ear...but nope, she wasn't having it. The lady said she would take the earring out and it would close back up by the end of the day. That's what we did.
Ella was heartbroken. She wanted earrings so bad. Call me a push over, but I felt sad for her, so I bought her a couple of clip on earrings and she was over the moon about them (probably shoulda started with the clips-ons in the 1st place eh?! hind sight is 20/20)
We met up with some friends for lunch and all was forgotten....Let's just say, I think the whole ear piercing thing will be put on the back burner for a few more years :)



4 Friendly Thoughts:
Wow! Talk about parallel experiences! I wish the lady had told me we could just take the first one out and be done with it. Instead we held down a screaming 4 year old until we could get the second one in. But then they ended up getting infected and she wouldn't let us clean them enough, so she's earringless again. :)
Why not just leave her as a little pirate till she gets up the nerve to do the other one????
Ella and Abrianna have the same taste in earrings. Abrianna choose those hello kitty earrings too. I was the mean mom that had her choose something else because I was worried about a nickel allergy. Those big crocodille tears are so sad. I would have done the same thing.
Poor Ella. I felt so bad for her. I'm glad we got to spend time together and she forgot about the whole earring incident. The girls were sure cute together.
Post a Comment