Friday, February 4, 2011

967 Hollywood Ave.

Warning this is  a long post, I was feeling very nostalgic after visiting my friends new house the other day. And I wanted to take a trip down memory lane so if you want to read on, feel free :) there is a video at the end ;)
 I miss being a home owner.
The hardest part about moving to SD was giving up owning a home, not just b/c we were students again, but b/c owning a home in southern California seems like a pipe dream since most starter houses start at 500+ I hope one day down the road will be be home owners again. It is sad how much homes are here and what you get for your money. It is the biggest downfall of living here.
Yesterday made me miss our sweet, charming, character filled sugarhouse house we had on Hollywood Ave. That we put much blood sweat and tears into. If any of you remember this house it needed some major TLC and we worked really hard on it. (Let's be honest, Dan did all the really hard work...but I was there for support) I really wish I took before pics of this place (A huge regret I have looking back on it) If you can believe it, before I started blogging I never really took pictures. In fact my form of a camera was a disposable one, if I remembered to buy one before hand. So needless to say the only real document of our totally remodeled home, was a poor quality camera video, shot a few months before we moved to SD.

Going down memory lane:
A little background on our starter home.
*We bought it right before we got married and worked on it all the time. Our big weekend dates were to the home depot
*This home was built in 1918 so it was OLD very old. But we made everything new again. I mean roof, windows, heating and air, pluming, tore down not 1 but 2 bearing walls, added to the back of the house, not to mention a completely gutted and remolded kitchen and all the amazing wood refinishing my hubby did of the original hardwood and red gum wood trim that this charming house had. (they don't make homes like they did back then anymore)
*We tried to keep all the original fixtures that made the home special. ie: leaded glass windows, the built -ins, the fire place, the chandelier etc. etc. we wanted it still to be in that "mission" style bungalow that is classic to old sugarhouse.
*It was a 4 year project that had a lot of love go into it.
* I knew this wasn't my forever house, but it is very meaningful to me since it was our 1st home, the home we brought our baby home to, the home we worked so hard to build. It will always hold a very near & dear spot in my heart.

I want you to know I'm happy with our move to SD and I know all Dans hard work and sacrifice will pay off in the end and we'll own a home again one day. But like I said, I was feeling very nostalgic and I wanted to take that trip down memory lane.

So with out further ado, here is a very poor quality video of our charming lil sugarhouse. That we called home the first 5 years of our marriage.

7 Friendly Thoughts:

Mandy said...

I remember that house so well! It was beautiful and I can see why you miss it so much. I miss you living so close too! Someday you will be a homeowner again. You guys did a wonderful job on that house.

Jamie said...

That house looks amazing Kristi! I can see why you miss it! Someday...

Jessie said...

You and Dan did some amazing work on that house! I am still forever grateful that Dan gave us a 5 gallon bucket of the most beautiful green paint ever. It swayed Steve enough to not do gray on the walls! The wood trim in that house was so beautiful and the Venetian painting he did. Oh I could go on and on about everything that I loved about your house!

Ashley Halsey said...

It was fun to finally see the video I've always heard about! Your house was so gorgeous! I know Dan will make a fabulous lawyer, but he could have easily gone from painter to general contractor judging by the AMAZING job he did on your house. Our house doesn't have much original character, but hopefully we'll be able to add some as time goes by...

Tanalyn said...

Hi Kristi~You probably don't even remember me from Beauty School....just came upon your blog and it's always fun to see familiar faces. Looks like life is treating you well and you have a beautiful family!

Anonymous said...

we miss you guys
from Emmaline huntzinger(your old neighbor)

Forsberg's said...

You're house was amazing! I still drive by and think, "ahh, cute". You guys did such a good job, and I loved having you around the corner! I'm sorry we made you hurry in Mesquite and let your camera with all your before photos get stolen- those mean people! Anyway maybe when you come back the new house owners will you give your home back!