Friday, January 27, 2012

Goodbye Big Blue...

Awww the Big Blue Beast, Sub, Big Blue, or Lola Blue. We had a fun ride.

For those of you who have known me a long long time, you will remember this was my childhood car growing up. This beaut, is 22 years old. While Dan was finishing up his last leg of law school, we went down to one car to save some moo-law. Out of desperation and annoyance of sharing a car, my mom generously offered for me to take the blue beast of her hands and give me some much needed freedom. I hesitated at 1st...The thing is the size of a boat! Not to mention the neon blue color that you can see coming a mile away. But I need transportation stat, so I made it work.
We had our good times (fitting all 12 ladies in for bowling at a girls night out) that was hilarious. And our bad times. (Breaking down the very 1st time I met Dan's new boss and his wife plus several co-workers at a dinner party, where it broke down in front of everyone and they had to push start it back up again...that was awesome. Talk about a lasting 1st impression eh?!) and (When the driver side door decided to not open for a week straight, when I would pick up Ella from school, it was quite the spectacle. I would load up the kids, then crawl my big ol self through the passenger side door to the driverseat...Can you imagine what people must have thought?....I do. Who is that crazy mom?) So needless to say it was time to say so long Big Blue. Although you brought nostalgia back as I drove around thinking of birthday parties and skiing trips as a kid. It was time for us to part ways.
Our new little Tracker
My also very generous sister, when I was at my wits end, came to my rescue and did was she does best and helped me out. She gave me her car! Yes you read right, she gave me her car and got a new one. How did I get so lucky to have such awesome support when I need it most? After driving that tank of a car, I feel like I'm driving a Mercedes now. It so fast up hills, it's not $$$ to fill up the tank, I can park anywhere, and I don't bump into things as I backup, how sweet is this?? Loving my new (to me) little tracker! Thanks Can for helping us out! And mom thanks for helping me with transportation in a desperate time. R.I.P Big Blue...you had a good long life :)

6 Friendly Thoughts:

Lela Boyd said...

Sad day! I miss big blue. We always knew when you arrived! Zane used to say "there's Ella!" every time we would pass by it. I'm pretty sure he doesn't know any other friends by their cars. You're so lucky to have an awesome possum sister :)

Kara said...

Okay, I totally remember that girls night. It was so fun riding in that thing with everyone! And you totally crack me up with not bumping into anything anymore. Haha.

The Haynes Herd said...

Kristi, I can't believe ol' Lola Blue is still alive and in the family. I'm impressed. I thought my eyes must be deceiving me when I saw you're post with it's Picture. I understand your desire for a smaller vehicle. I have three kids now and still refuse to get a minivan or even something bigger than my Camry. I just squish em in there. I think of it as forced bonding time.
Thanks for posting the neon blue suburban. It brought back a lot of memories of it cruising behind our house kicking up dust. Ahh, the good ol' days. You're family sure is cute. hope 2012 is good to you!

Kim and Corey Nasfell said...

Oh no, how will I find you in two seconds in the parking lot now??? :) Haha, love me some big blue but so happy that your awesome sister gave you a new car that won't kill ya on the gas $$$! Yea! How exciting!

auntie cana said...

So, Big Blue finally got towed to a shop last week after spending two weeks stuck in the Doctor's parking lot at my hospital (a bit embarrasing) and six more weeks in from of my house. Mom seems to think they can revive it, but I think it is finally done. Glad my little Tracker went to a loving home. It has always been good to me with the great gas milage, plenty of space, and four wheel drive. I miss it, but love, love LOVE my new one! It was cute seeing you guys all packed up and ready to go home in it in Yuma!

Auntie Cana said...

OK, seriously...Mom took it to some shop and they got it running again!